A wonderful combination of apple, almond butter, raisins, and spices. Perfect for breakfast, a snack, or dessert!
This is one of those recipes I had a hard time naming. What is it? A breakfast, snack, or dessert? Is it like fruit porridge or like apple crisp? It's a little of everything with wonderful textures and flavors coming from apples, raisins, almond butter, maple syrup, ground flaxseed, and spices, with the optional addition of coconut, dates and walnuts. Yum! But there is still is the issue of what to name it! I landed on apple raisin almond butter compote, though this really can be eaten entirely on its own and need not be paired with anything else. It's a meal or snack in itself.
Compotes are often thought of as toppings for other meals. They can be served on oatmeal, waffles, meats, and much more. This apple raisin almond butter compote is meant to be eaten just as this, although it can definitely be used as a topping. If you're gluten free and eat oatmeal, this compote is a perfect addition. Or if you make paleo pancakes or waffles, it is a wonderful topping for either.
How to Make Apple Raisin Almond Butter Compote
This is the simplest and quickest of recipes. Gather and measure all the ingredients. Chop up an apple into small bite sized chunks. Sauté the apple in coconut oil for a couple minutes, then add raisins and sauté a little more. Remove from heat. Add the ground flaxseed, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, and sea salt. Stir well to combine. And truly, that's all!
Spoon your apple raisin almond butter compote in a bowl and top with shredded coconut, chopped dates and walnut pieces. If you want serve this as dessert, add a dollop of coconut milk whipped cream!
This serves one but can easily be doubled or tripled. Serve this recipe in the morning as breakfast, or in the afternoon as a snack, or in the evening for dessert. Enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container. Either warm the leftovers or enjoy cold.
Apple Raisin Almond Butter Compote
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- shredded coconut optional
- chopped walnuts pieces optional
- medjool date, chopped optional
- coconut whipped cream optional
- Chop apples in small bite sized pieces. Gather and measure all ingredients, placing the flaxseed, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Heat a small skillet or pot on medium heat on the stove and add the coconut oil. After the coconut oil has melted, add apple pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add raisins and sauté for another minute.
- Remove from heat. Add the flaxseed, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice and sea salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour in a dish and if desired, top with walnut pieces, shredded coconut, and chopped date. Add coconut milk whipped cream for a special dessert!