Creamy and silky, this delicious snack tastes like ice cream without being ice cream.
If you're in the mood for something cold and creamy but don't want ice cream, I recommend giving 'nice cream' a try. Nice cream is a healthier version, typically made with bananas as a base. The bananas give enough sweetness and a creamy base that very much resembles ice cream. There are many different ways to make nice cream. This recipe incorporates cashew butter, which contributes to the creamy texture. Cashew butter nice cream is definitely a favorite in my household!
How to Make Cashew Butter Nice Cream
The beauty of this recipe is that it takes just minutes to make. The longest part is freezing the bananas. It's really best to do this the night before making your cashew butter nice cream.
Slice and freeze the bananas overnight.
Take out of the freezer and let sit for about 5 minutes.
Place frozen banana slices, cashew butter, almond milk, and salt (if using) in a food processor.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the refined sugar free and dairy free chocolate chips.
And voila! You have nice cream.
If you prefer soft serve ice cream, you can eat it immediately. If you prefer hardened ice cream, place in the freezer (in an airtight freezer safe container) for several hours.
If you are using salted cashew butter, salt may not be necessary to add. I definitely recommend a pinch if using unsalted cashew butter, and use salt to taste if using salted cashew butter. It's not meant to taste salty, it's simply meant to bring out the flavors.
Place any leftovers in the freezer, using an airtight freezer safe container. It's best to consume within one week.
Cashew Butter Nice Cream
- 1 food processor
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cashew butter salted or unsalted
- pinch salt optional
- 1/4 cup refined sugar free dairy free chocolate chips
- Slice bananas and place in the freezer overnight or for about 8 hours.
- When ready to make nice cream, remove the bananas from the freezer and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then place in food processor.
- Add the almond milk and cashew butter to the food processor. Blend until smooth with no lumps.
- If using unsalted cashew butter, add a pinch of salt and blend again. If using salted cashew butter, add as necessary to taste. It is not meant to be salty, but rather bring out the flavors.
- Scoop the mixture into a freezer safe container. Add the chocolate chips and stir in.
- Serve immediate for soft serve nice cream or place in the freezer for hard nice cream.