These healthy and filling energy balls are the perfect snack! Quick and easy, these can be made ahead and enjoyed throughout the week!
It's so helpful to have healthy snacks readily available when being conscious about your food choices. These energy balls are a great go-to when needing a 'pick me up' during the day.
Gluten Free but Not Paleo
Please note that these almond butter energy balls are not paleo due to containing oats. Oats are a grain and the paleo diet excludes grains. Oats are naturally gluten free however, as long as they are not cross contaminated with gluten. Many companies will place this label on the bag of oats when they are careful about cross contamination.
As stated, look for oats that say they are gluten free. Regarding the chocolate chips, choose your favorite refined sugar free chocolate chips or unsweetened chocolate chips. Try to find raisins that don't have extra ingredients but are dried grapes only. Also look for almond butter that is simply almonds and salt with no extra oils or sugar.
How to Make Almond Butter Energy Balls
These are so ridiculously easy to make which is part of the appeal. It's very doable to make these on a weekend and enjoy throughout the week.
Simply combine all the dry ingredients, then add the almond butter and honey and stir to thoroughly combine. Roll into balls between 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter, ending up with 20 energy balls.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. They can store longer than this but they tend to dry out over time.
Whether you're on-the-go or don't have a lot of time to prepare food, these are a great filler until your next meal. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Energy Balls
- 2 cups oats (not cross contaminated with gluten)
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup refined sugar free chocolate chips or raisins or 1/2 cup of each
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- Measure the dry ingredients and place in a medium sized bowl. This includes oats, ground flax seed, refined sugar free chocolate chips or raisins, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the almond butter and honey and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to make the mixture less sticky and easier to work with.
- Roll mixture in your hands to create 20 balls. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate. Chill for at least 20 minutes prior to eating. Chilling overnight is best.
- Energy balls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. (After a week they may start to dry out.)