A quick but filling meal for when you're short on time, providing protein, vegetables, and healthy fats.
Getting a boost of nutrition when you don't have a lot of time to prepare a meal can be difficult. This meal is a staple in my household when those busy days don't allow for a lot of time in the kitchen. It provides so many good things we need--protein, vegetables, and healthy fats. All it requires is eggs, bacon, spinach and avocado. Therefore, we like to call it the 10 Minute Egg Bacon Spinach Avocado Meal.
We are backyard chicken owners, so eggs are consistently available. If you can get eggs from a local farm, farmers market, or from other chicken owners, you'll taste that they are so much richer than store bought. And they sure are pretty!
Try to look for bacon that doesn't have sugar or nitrates, and if possible, understand the company's sourcing. Crate free pork means that the animals were not confined to small spaces. It's better for the animals and results in better food.
Making the 10 Minute Egg Bacon Spinach Avocado Meal
Start by cooking the bacon in a skillet, then set aside. Add the spinach to the same pan with the bacon fat and cook until just slightly wilted. This is a quick process and takes just a few seconds. Scoop the spinach onto a plate. Then using the same skillet, fry your eggs. Add the eggs to the spinach and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Break up the bacon and place the pieces over the eggs. Finally, slice half an avocado and arrange the pieces on your plate. And there you have a fast and easy nutritious meal.
As a bonus, this meal is both paleo and keto! Enjoy!
10 Minute Egg Bacon Spinach Avocado Meal
- 2 pieces bacon sugar and nitrate free, crate free
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Heat a mid-size skillet on medium heat. Add bacon strips and cook until brown and crispy. Remove and place on paper towels. Alternatively, you can chop the bacon into pieces prior to cooking.
- Bacon should leave a thin layer of fat on the bottom of the skillet. If there is more than a thin layer, pour some into a bowl or cup. Add the spinach and stir until slightly wilted. This will not take long, only a few seconds. Place spinach onto a plate.
- Turn heat down a notch and place skillet back on stove. Either reuse excess fat from the bacon or add avocado oil so there is a thicker layer of oil on the bottom of the skillet. Add the two eggs and fry until the egg white is no longer translucent, approximately 2 minutes (or until desired doneness). Gently loosen the eggs from the skillet and flip over. Let fry for 1 additional minute (or until desired doneness). Remove the eggs and place over the spinach. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Break or chop up the bacon strips into pieces and scatter over the eggs. Slice half an avocado and arrange slices on the side.